1051. true story


Elvis & Luna
grazing in grassy pastures
forever




“Elvis & Luna” - 9x8” - Origami Mixed Media

“I adopted Elvis, a 3000 pound Swiss steer, sparing him from the slaughterhouse. Elvis loved people, and he loved me, especially after I started bringing him apples and carrots. I read him poems in the pasture, fed him chocolate donuts and bananas. I loved to sit out on the hill with him and look at the other cattle and cows down in the valley below. I often thought how he must have felt he had it pretty good….he had a girl, Luna, a beef cow for company, plenty of grass, fresh water, hay, and people who loved him…”

Excerpt from, “Going Home: Finding peace when pets die.” Jon Katz retired from a career in journalism to write about animals. Here he draws on personal experiences, together with stories from fellow pet owners, and philosophical reflections, to honor the animals who have graced our lives. Most of the stories are about dogs and cats; this one about Elvis, especially captured my creative attention.